This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 150
· Members: 0
· Total: 150

Spaceempires.net :: Stores and component purchases :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Stores and component purchases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SF Star Wars Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearclaw

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Stores and component purchases Reply with quote

I've put together a system for planet stores that will make it very simple to add more components to the mod over time without having to change anything with stores anywhere in the galaxy unless a customized store is needed.

What I've done is created a code system for Class Names for all components. Each Class Name now consists of a 3 digit code, Grade/Affiliation/Type.

Grades:
L= Low
M= Medium
H= High

Affiliations:
1= Empire
2= Rebel
3= Any
4= undefined
5= undefined

Types:
A= Weapons
B= Missiles
C= Hyperdrives/Engines/Thrusters
D= Sensors
E= Deflector Shields
F= Particle Shields
G= Reators/Power Cells/Power Converters
H= Crew/Life Support/Bridge/etc.
I= undefined
J= Emergancy Repair (excluding R2 units)
K= undefined

Then what I've done is I've named the various sections of a Store by a Shop Name rather than Armor, Shields, Weapons, etc. Instead when you go into a Store the options you have are:

Manufacturer Dealer
Aftermarket Dealer
Equipment Store

Ship Outfitter
Weapon Shop
Droid Shop
Warehouse

Storehouse
Scrap Pile
Salvage Dealer
Junk Yard

Each type could potentially have virtually any component. With the exception of Weapon Shop and Droid Dealer. But that may change yet... This is also the order of quality of shop. The first 3 are High Quality shops. They may not have as much but will probably have better items. The next 4 are Medium Quality Shops. Will have more options but will mostly be middle of the road, very few High Grade items. The last 4 are Low Quality Shops and may have a bunch of stuff but don't expect much from them, but there is a slim chance that you may find High Grade items.

Next what I've done is created what I've called a Raw Store. I took the number of Class Names and put them into a single store as a template for all other stores. As long as every store in the mod uses this same Raw Store for a template, then new components can quickly be added to the mod simply by following the same Class Name Code system above.

This Raw Store is huge. It has 770 different combinations of items! That's more than 1550 lines of text PER STORE! I've got it complete but it took me many hours to create. Just as a heads up, the file for Stores in this mod will end up being VERY large. With only the Raw Store, it is now a 1 meg text file. But I think most recognized the fact that this mod is going to massive anyway.

Though there is a lot of work to get this system complete, I hope it's not confusing to anyone and is fairly clear on how easy it will be to add more components to the mod over time with out having to redo a lot of work. Now I'm working on taking this Raw Store to create the default Stores for the mod. After that, I'll start with some Unique location Stores.

Another thing to note is that because the Class Name Code system is designed to create an additional level of randomness to what items various shops provide, it would make enemy/starting ship designs very difficult. Therefore, I've also got a Standard Type of every component so that if it is required that a specific ship must have a specific component, that can be done or using the Class Name Codes, the ships themselves can have a degree of randomness. Just because the last Corellian Cruiser was equipped with nothing more than Blaster Cannons, doesn't mean that this one won't have Turbo Lasers!

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

bearclaw

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? no comments? Not losing anyone here are we?

Nick (bearclaw)

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just not sure how you are going to use the class names. Are these supposed to be suffixes on the components or are they to be organized under a header like L1A etc?

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

Micael
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these "headers" mean that everything will just link in to the primary store file, instead of everything being copied repeatedly?

How will this affect gameplay, or will it just be like a normal SE:SF store in game appearance?

Are the "undefined"s going to stay undefined or are they just there in-case you want to add in anything later?

- Archmagus Micael

bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKwok wrote:
I'm just not sure how you are going to use the class names. Are these supposed to be suffixes on the components or are they to be organized under a header like L1A etc?

Class names will all be codes only (L1A, H3B etc). There are several components with the same class name so when a store is generated, it will randomly pick one of the components that match the Class Name.

Nick (bearclaw)

bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micael wrote:
Do these "headers" mean that everything will just link in to the primary store file, instead of everything being copied repeatedly?

How will this affect gameplay, or will it just be like a normal SE:SF store in game appearance?

Are the "undefined"s going to stay undefined or are they just there in-case you want to add in anything later?

- Archmagus Micael

By headers do you mean Class Names? Each store will have a list of each class name and a percentage chance of that class name appearing in the store. There is only one copy of each component but several components with the same class name.

As for game play, what the intent is that if you visit a store and come back later, it will have different components each time, depending on what class names are on the list.

And yes, undefined are there so that more can be added in the future relativly easisly.

Nick (bearclaw)

Micael
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, one of the undefined component types has already been, well, defined. #4 is now Droids. The only droids so far are R2-units, Astromech Crew, Droid Pilot, and Protocal Droids.

I'm open to more suggestions from anyone.

Nick (bearclaw)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SF Star Wars Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: